The third update of the government’s guidance on Apprenticeships and COVID-19 was published on Friday afternoon.
The key changes include:
- More information on calculating wages for furloughed apprentices
- Clarification that a furloughed employee can start an apprenticeship. The policy make specific mention of furloughed employees.
- Information on collecting signatures. This has been contextualised for apprenticeships by referring to the published funding rule content on what we need signatures for.
- More information on flexibilities of end-point assessment.
- Flexibilities for English and Maths functional skills for Intermediate (level 2) apprentices – Qfqual has announced that apprentices due to take their EPAs up to 31 July 2020 will now receive a calculated grade for their functional skills assessment and the requirement to study towards and attempt the functional skills assessments at level 2 is suspended temporarily.
- Flexibilities on qualification certification. This new content allows employers and providers to accept alternative evidence for proof of completed mandatory qualifications before passing an apprentice through gateway.